Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Sugar, Sugar




In light of Valentine’s Day coming this weekend, I thought I would look back on our courtship. It’s been a good number of years since My Chemist and I were dating, but I remember it well.

It’s not unusual for a fellow who’s wooing a girl to sing her songs. Maybe he even changes the words a little to fit their lives better. I guess I should have known then I was dating a die hard chemist…

Do you know the song “Sugar, Sugar” by The Archies? Well, my sweetheart used to sing me that song. The tune was the same as the original, but the lyrics went something like this:

Sucrose, Sucrose
Uh Dextrose, Fructose
You are my Glucose girl
And you’ve got me wanting you.

And repeat…I guess he didn’t know the rest of the words or they didn’t have any easy replacements with chemical names of sugar.

Do you have any favorite songs or memories?




2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Funny. I saw the sugar and thought you were going to be baking cookies or something!!

Just A Chemist said...

No sugar on the bench there. That was [Rh2(dmb)4](BPh4)2, dmb = 1,3-diioscyano-2,2-dimethylpropane.
Or something like that.