Friday, February 13, 2009

Missing Miss Pink

This time of year I always think of a student of mine who passed away. She had a January birthday and she died in February (five years ago today), so winter always conjures memories. She was as stubborn as could be and I loved her. She was funny and her favorite color was pink. She loved Disney characters, jewelry, and pink socks.

She missed a lot of school, so I often saw her for home bound services at her grandmothers’ homes. She would stay with one or the other of them while her parents were at work and they were both so warm and kind, letting this stranger come in and commandeer their table and granddaughter for a couple of hours a few times a week.

Through all that I got to know and love her more. I have a few things to remember her by, photos (that I won’t show for her and her family’s privacy), a picture she drew, a ring (we had matching ones, so I think of her whenever I see it), and a ribbon (from a fundraiser some of my peer tutors did to raise money to donate to a place that helped her when she was small). She’ll always have a place in my heart and her name is oft spoken in our home, as we named one of our girls after her.




No comments: