Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Compassion

It’s a trait we want to teach our children. To love others, to care about their plight, to actually get up and help. At their current ages these actions can be somewhat limited. It’s not the easiest task to get them in and out of the grocery store, so the idea of taking them to go volunteer somewhere is near ‘daunting’ in my book. I feel like I would be more of a hindrance than a help. I know that I couldn’t do the work sorting clothes that I had done at a pregnancy support center when I was first married. The laying tile I was doing when Justin and I first fell in love in Chicago is totally out of the question—sharp knives and two small children, no way. I’m not in a financial place that I have a lot of money to donate, not that my kids would learn a lot from that anyway.

I mentioned my quandary at a MOPS meeting and one of the other moms gave an example of something she did when she only had one child. They would go and visit an adult day care. It was her daughter that actually got to do the ministering. She was facilitating her young child as a light in these people’s lives. I have some thinking to do. I’m not sure if this will be the exact route we take, but it is food for thought.

I try to help my girls, especially Kate, since she’s old enough to start understanding, do some things that are for others. She helps me make food for Justin’s students and colleagues. We went Christmas caroling in December and other small things through out the year. We try to discuss these things and how they make people feel with her, but there’s a lack of the on going. I want the girls to always be on the look out for ways to do for those around them. I want compassion to be such a part of them that it’s always there.

I know that this unabashed compassion has repercussions. It can cause anguish. You can see every need around you, even those things you can do nothing about. It can cause you to be taken advantage of. But truly, if that is the worst, isn’t it more than worth the cost? If I am taken advantage of, am I truly the fool? I don’t think so.

"You have heard that it was said, 'Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.' But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you. (Matthew 5:38-42)

We are to give what they ask for and even more. And there are, of course, the warnings that we may be “entertaining angels unawares” and Jesus’ story of the sheep and goats (Matthew 25:41-46). We never know whose needs we are meeting and the life effects that our kindness will have not only on others, but on ourselves as well.

Speaking of Compassion—here’s a place to get involved if you’re looking. You can sponsor a child, paying for their needs (such as educational costs, medical care, and the opportunity to learn about Jesus), writing to the child, and praying for him or her. It’s a great program.

3 comments:

Rachel H said...

hey Kristy :) I saw your comment on Kelly's blog and knew you sounded familiar :) hope you don't mind that I linked over and checked out your blog! I feel like I haven't seen an update from you in forever, but here are all the updates on your blog!

Rachel (rachel0923 on wte)

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

What a sweet post - I agree that it is so important to teach our kids about compassion, it is a trait that is sadly lacking these days.

Kristy said...

Rachel: You're welcome to visit us anytime!

Tabitha: I hope we can teach this to our kids, and some day you to yours. It's so ingrained in our culture to run over everyone to get to the top.