Friday, February 27, 2009

The Blessing of Children (part II)

For me, raising my children brings me innumerable blessings.

There are the things any mom will tell you: the messy kisses, the sticky hugs, the smell of a new baby. Those are a part of my blessings too.

There’s also the drive to know God’s word (and a little something about everything in His creation) because my three-year-old questions everything and wants an answer.

There’s the closeness of God through prayer, because all day long my patience is being tried and I need more strength. He keeps me from going off the deep end in a land far from “home” with little adult interaction each week, with two tiny girls who want to be just like me.

There is the delight of looking at things through fresh eyes. Who knew that sticks make great paint brushes? And mud is the best paint ever.

There is the joy in the smallest things: like a fort of blankets, hot cocoa, and playing outside.

There is a blessing in knowing that I can raise my children to love God, so that they will love Him always (Prov. 22:6).

There is the bitter sweet excitement of each new stage and phase. As they grow taller, wiser, and stronger, they move to become less and less dependant on me. This means I also have to learn to start letting them go by baby steps too.

I have gained a lot of practice in trying (and failing) to be patient.

I have learned that sometimes things aren’t perfect and that’s okay. That too is a blessing. I don’t think God cares that our laundry hamper sometimes over flows or that I didn’t get the dusting done (again). My family sure doesn’t. They want me to be present. That’s why I hear, “Come play with me!”

Life as a mother isn’t easy. It’s often filled with discipline issues, kids up in the middle of the night, cleaning up puke and poop, and balancing a lot of things at once, but it is full of blessings too.


2 comments:

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

such a sweet post!! I'm glad you enjoy motherhood so much, what an inspiration to the rest of us. :)

Rachel H said...

3 kids aren't too many :) you are such a loving mother and have so much to offer your children, you should have as many as God blesses you with!

I am 1 of 5, which was like being part of a circus troupe in the 90s in suburban Philadelphia. I loved every minute of it though.