Thursday, June 9, 2011

Step 812 of 1000

Never underestimate the time it takes to call all those utility companies...and to call them back again.

We are keeping one service provider, but everyone else is changing in this 30 minute move. That means that I have to call quite a few people to schedule the starts and stops. I spent the first third of my afternoon trying to find someone...anyone...who would provide us with internet. It is evidently that difficult. There is one provider who we've had issues with before, so I was trying to avoid them. Five phone calls later someone thinks they can help us. We'll sign up on Monday, after closing happens (oh please let closing happen as it is scheduled!!).

I had spoken with the gas company quite awhile back to see about service. Since that was all but done, I was saving it for the last of my requests for service. Oops. Since that time the gas has actually been turned off. Evidently they need to be sure that the water and electric are already on or they won't turn it back on. And I had to be there. I had to pick either 8-12 where I wait (outside in the heat with the three littles) or an all day appointment where they would call me. But I have to be downtown for closing at a set time in the afternoon, so I can't be available all day. They can't do both, "because it isn't available on our form." The supervisor concurred. So much for customer service...

They told me that they could use the pass code for the door lock to get in, since the house is vacant. Nice, but I don't have that information. Oh, and all the other utilities have to be on before they will turn the gas on--you know the ones that I spent the second third of my afternoon setting up for that day also. So, I emailed the realtor to work out getting the pass code to the people at the gas company. Next I called the water and electric companies to be sure that the service is on ahead of the gas company's arrival. The last third of my afternoon gone, but it's done--except for our water turn off, which requires me to appear in person--of course. So unless the closing is delayed by a month, I ain't doing that again!

I'm starting to wonder about free market in utilities though. Our garbage collection is free market...and it isn't cheap, as they have to run several different companies garbage trucks down our street each week. Does the improvement in customer service and the price drop because of competition out weigh the rise in cost of the extra utility lines that have to be installed... Probably not, but that's too bad because it would be nice to choose sometimes.

Hoping, hoping, hoping that everything goes through on time now. Evidently a request that the home inspector re-chech the a/c was put through this week, as we got a copy of that report yesterday morning. When I checked on it, I was told that it was because Mr. Appraiser I made a mistake two weeks ago and now it was required it be proven long, despite the more recent appraisal from Mr. Appraiser II that reported that the a/c worked.

1 comment:

Jo-Anne said...

Good luck with everything. I hope it finally all goes through. =)