Thursday, August 26, 2010

You Create: ID card



So, I hear that homeschool teachers can often get the same discounts that public school teachers receive at stores.  The catch however is to prove that you are indeed a teacher.  I have the paperwork from the district, showing that we are homeschooling, but who really keeps the 8 1/5 x 11 sheet of paper (suitable for framing filing) on them at all times.  I've read several places that an ID card can be helpful, both for the parent, and as they get older, for the child.

I took that idea and ran with it.  After reading one of the comments some one posted about using their children's initials, I though of King.  My family disagreed.  They (Justin and Kate) thought that the idea of the initials was good and all, but they didn't like the name as much as Knights.  So we had our mascot.

I don't have any fancy editing software, so I just put our ID's together in PowerPoint, since I can do basic layering and cropping there.  Then I used self-sealing laminating pouches from 3M ($4.99 for a pack of 5) at Target.  I figure I'll save a dollar a year with it anyway.

The finished product looks like this:


That's the back with it in the laminate pouch:


I haven't tried to use it for a discount yet, but when I do, I'll let you know if I should have just laminated our paperwork or not!

6 comments:

Mandy Hornbuckle said...

Very nice! And how smart to take advantage of teacher discounts! You certainly deserve them too!

Kaycee said...

Excellent! I think that's a great idea and looks very professional. Hope it works! And if you find lots of great stores you get a discount at I would love to hear about them. I am a teacher and I rarely get discounts. Hope you have more success!

Anonymous said...

nice idea!! and very practical :)

Unknown said...

Great idea! :)

Jessica @ One Shiny Star said...

My Mom has some kind of card and she uses it as JoAnns... plus it can be used with their in-store discounts, like the 15% (or 20... whatever) mailer coupons, so it's a great deal.

Gitz 'n Jo said...

That was a really good idea... and never even thought about having a homeschooling mascot. That is really fun!