Thursday, September 16, 2010

You Create: Crayon Bags



I have never been one to take a lot of toys along to entertain my kids. One, I don't want to loose a lovey that we have to live without or try to replace. Two, I want my kids to interact with the people around them. I have started taking crayons to church though, since that can be a long time for a two year old to sit quietly. I know it is too long for some adults to sit quietly to, but that's another issue entirely! I've just been putting a small pack in my purse, but as much as I love Crayola, their boxes were not designed to hold up to little kids' abuse, being tossed into and out of purses and dropped repeatedly onto pews and the floor. We needed something more lasting. So to that end, I made the girls little bags to hold their crayons.


Two straight seams with zigzag to reinforce--they could also be lined easily


The finished products

They were simple little bags with two seams each, a turned down edge, and a zipper. The zippers were my only cost, as the fabric was scrap from other projects--and they were on sale half off at Hobby Lobby. The girls promptly removed their crayons so they could play with them around the house--crayons aren't allowed free run in the house (they must be used at the table, so we don't wind up with murals on our walls).

Happy creating!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a great idea! the crayola boxes always made me sad when they started breaking. those could even be cute little make-up bags! someday i'm determined to learn how to use a sewing machine.... :)

Prudy said...

Great job!!

Carol H. said...

I love that you are taking the kids with you to worship. Even though they may appear to be doodling with their bags of crayons - they are learning about worship by watching mom.

Jessica @ One Shiny Star said...

I wish my Mom had a similar rule when I was younger. I clearly recall spending an entire afternoon of my 12 year old life scrubbing a very large crayon mural off of the wall. It wasn't mine... it was my sister's but I was the one who had to clean it up. :( lol

Gitz 'n Jo said...

Great idea... and I'm assuming the girls thought they were very fancy having their own special bags, too. I still feel fancy when I have little things like that :)