Saturday, September 4, 2010

What if...

As I was completing the most glamorous task of humankind scrubbing the floors the other day, I was contemplating a totally random question...if I had a whole week all to myself what would I do? My family is all gone doing something without me and the normal restraints of finances, practicality, and people being able to say, "no," don't apply. Seeing as I haven't had five minutes without a member of my immediately family in the building with me since we left Kansas a couple of months ago (yes, really--I've searched my mind, but there hasn't been a time yet--there was once it was just me and Justin for a couple of hours (for a school function), but other than that it's also included at least one child), I guess it's one of those things that crosses a person's mind.

This is one of those cases of dream big or go home (or stay home, since I am at home?). So, what would I do? Sleep in past 5:00, certainly, but that's not too big, at least not for normal people (though it's been 9 months since that happened here). Hmmm...sing on Broadway. How much fun would that be?! I love to sing, but SAHMdom doesn't call for much past the difficulty of "Twinkle, Twinkle". I'm not Broadway quality by any stretch, but I loved to sing in choirs and in high school musicals. I've sang in a few praise bands for churches and had maybe a dozen solos at churches over the years. It was fun to lose yourself in the music and pretend to be someone else. I wouldn't get any great views, but maybe I could keep from getting booed of the stage. I never got cast as anything big, but when I was teaching the school's choir director asked if I had been cast as Sandy (in my H.S.'s production of Grease) when he was accompanying me for a talent show, so maybe I'm not too horrible.

Now, I don't want to run off to New York or anything, but it sure is fun to think of while I'm scrubbing the kitchen floor! And while I've not sang in public since Kate was born, maybe I'll take it up again some day--you know in all that free time I have. Well, off I go to sing another round of "The Arky Song," after all I have the best audience in the world right here.

2 comments:

Devon said...

Hmm...I have no idea what I'd do...get a massage, maybe. And after that, sleep.

ann said...

I would probably end up doing a lot of what I already do. Cooking, exercising, and spending time with my family. Sometimes I need to be reminded that I really am doing exactly what I want to be doing.