Wednesday, September 29, 2010

You Create: Castle Cake


Note: Sara is ill and will not likely be posting for You: Create this week, but I had already planned to post about Kate's cake. So, I will go ahead and post this note and link up when she is feeling better. In the mean time, would you please pray for her health? Thanks!

Kate requested a castle cake again this year. I made it for her two years ago and she wanted it again. It is a two tiered cake. There are three standard rounds on the bottom (required to get the height needed for the door) and then two 6" rounds on the top. It is iced with decorator icing and stacked. I used a kit for the doors, windows and turrets, using almond bark to making the turrets stand on the tray.



Kate watched as I decorated it this time. I have to admit I took a few shortcuts this time. My time is more limited than it was two years ago when I made it for her last and she was impatiently bouncing and asking if I was finished yet. I didn't make all the individual leaves around the base, I just piped a nice green line and dotted it with the pink flowers. I also didn't put all the cones on top--it requires a good bit of work to ice them, and I thought it looked nice when I got those three on, so I left it as it was.


She loved it, and that's what really mattered.

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

Wow. I'm so impressed. My mother made a castle cake one year for my sis, but it was simply a sheet cake with ice cream cones at the corners. Nothing like this. Wow. What a lot of work with a beautiful result.