Thursday, July 7, 2011

The Kitchen

To continue the tour of our casa, here is the kitchen.


It is nothing horribly fancy, but is nice sized and very functional. Everything is in pretty easy reach, other than things up high. The cabinets go to the ceiling, which is very nice for storing all those things you use once a year. I currently have some cleaners stored atop the fridge, but that should clear out as I finish putting the rest of the house in order soon. In case you are wondering, the fridge is curently working fine with the tape that is holding the vent open the correct amount, so we can order a fridge more at our leisure.


When the kids are a little older, and less likely to fall, we will probably put in some bar stools here at the counter, but for now it houses some of my Meadow Lane pieces (a discontinued Pfaltzgraff pattern that coordinates with my Filigree dishes) and a napkin tray that was sent to me as a gift from Denmark.


This might be the most important part of the kitchen... Justin thinks so because of the coffee pots, I think so because of the calendar/organizer, and the kids think so because of the paper towels.


The dishwasher has been broken since before we purchased the house, but there have been some delays in getting a new one, so the dish rack has been getting good use. The sink and I have been spending some quality time together three or four times a day, so I am thankful for the new faucet that Justin and my Daddy installed (the old one only let through a trickle) and the water pressure that Justin turned up for me!

Don't let the child proofing fool you. Nate is able to remove it--I just can't get it clicked tight enough, but I can hear him remove it and intervene. It is my alarm system. For now I don't have anything that he could hurt himself with down there, just in case...hence stuff on the fridge! Speaking of child proofing--this house has very little. There are no gates. Nate learned to use the stairs the day we were here for the home inspection. He can't quite reach door knobs yet, so we don't need door knob covers. There are some outlet protectors in and we have a safety latch on one drawer (the one I keep all things sharp, flammable, and permanent (think makers) in). It seems odd not to have everything 'child proofed', but I suppose we're moving out of that phase of life.


Here is the range with the nifty over the range microwave that my Daddy put in for me last week, as my parent's food warming house warming gift to us.


Of course this is the eat in portion of the kitchen, with a table that was my grand parents. This is used for breakfast and lunch on week days, since Justin is at work and we only need room to seat three or four of us then. The nice sized pantry is just behind it.

Previously:
Nate's Room
Curio


1 comment:

Jessica @ One Shiny Star said...

I could show-case my kitchen in one photograph. It is soooo tiny! But I guess that is apartment living for ya! Seeing your dish wrack makes me really appreciate the dishwasher. We didn't have one in our first apartment, and I've forgotten what a luxury it is to have one!