Saturday, October 16, 2010

In the Shadows

We've talked at length about curriculum choices. This year, being kindergarten, we're mostly focusing on basics and I'm creating much of our supplies. For next year, we've settled on social studies, and math, narrowed it down in Latin and handwriting, decided on an eclectic mix for English, but science has had me paralyzed.

First there is the fact that Justin is a scientist. I am always afraid that I will will make a mistake, because this is one area that he is way above me and I'd hate to goof on something that is so important to him. Then I've also found that much of the home school curriculum is quite firm on a literal 7 day creation. We are more flexible on this point and I'm not quite sure what on earth to pick! So for this year, we're reading a variety of books from the library and having fun with experiments.


We took sidewalk chalk out and traced her outline.


She got to write the times inside them too.

Then we read "My Shadow" by Robert Louis Stevenson. (English and Math integrated) :)

We also made shadows on the wall with a flashlight and teddy bear. I tell you--it's so horrible (please read as dripping with sarcasm) to have to teach science--or maybe it is just play time!

No comments: