Thursday, February 4, 2010

Who knew what a great teacher diabetes would be? I don't remember the last time I did so much multiplication, division, and cross multiplication of fractions. Since we're aiming for a set number of carbs for each meal (36 at breakfast and 48 at each lunch and dinner), I often find myself altering serving sizes from those handy-dandy nutritional facts to fit those numbers. I can't imagine doing this in an age before those facts were listed on the boxes and before I could search CalorieKing for unlabled foods, like green peppers.

Many restaurants also provide their nutritional information online. It's not usually the first thing you see on their website, but you can find it pretty quickly--who wants their patrons to accidentally find out that the bacon cheeseburger and tater tots they ate was 1020 calories? I've actually found most fast food is pretty easy to locate, but some of the other chains are a little more difficult to figure out. I have yet to find nutritional information for TGI Friday's. When that happens, I use sites like CalorieKing to get an average number of carbs for what ever it is that we might order. Not as exact as my long division at home, but an educated guess.

We're getting there! Plus when I take my GRE one of these days I bet I nail the part on cross multiplication.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I spoke with someone the other day whose son was diagnosed at around age 10. He has been on insulin for 30 years now. At the time, she had never heard of diabetes so it was a real learning experience for her. I'm glad that there is more information out there for you and that you all are intelligent enough to understand what you have to do!!
Saying a prayer that all goes well today.