Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Annoyed

Okay, I'll admit it, sometimes I'm a little easily annoyed. Like on Monday, I was driving the three miles to the grocery store. In that time I dealt with two lane closures and two trains (very slow trains). You roll your eyes and you move on.

Then, as we are now running late, I was helping Kate get ready for gymnastics. The child was a bit grumpy about the whole situation, so she let the leg she was standing on slide out from under her, scuffing her elbow a little. This led to hysterics. I remember being a kid and the initial pain being pretty severe, but she just wouldn't settle--I actual wondered if she broke it somehow. She cried when we put her long sleeved shirt on because it rubbed against it. She screamed when I came at her with a band-aid to cover it so the shirt wouldn't rub it. Then she took off running across the kitchen in her sock feet to beat her sister so she could...throw away a dirty diaper?! This led to a face plant on the hard floor. What do you do? You laugh and move on.

But now I'm really annoyed. Justin was diagnosed as diabetic last week and given prescriptions for insulin needles, a meter, and test strips. I take these to our closest drug store, assuming we will be making a lot of visits to this national chain. The next evening when Justin is in need of a needle, we find it's the wrong one. When we call about it, we were told, "The perscription wasn't clear." What?! So you just guess? They didn't tell me to check to be sure it was right. It was all in a bag when I got it, so I wouldn't have even known if I wasn't completely new to all of this. We went and purchased the correct needles, at a cost of over $40, that didn't apply to our deductable because this time it was without the prescription. He was able to talk to a manager and get the money refunded, but then the person kept the receipt that we needed both for our insurance records and to get a rebate on the meter.

Then last night he opened the new test strips...they are the wrong kind. Everything they gave us (I chose the meter) was WRONG. Not one of the items was correct. So it's been well over 12 hours since he has checked his glucose levels. I'll obviously be looking elsewhere for our pharmaceutical needs--our thousands of dollars of business a year and they can't even give us the right syringes or testing strips (while the employee was holding the meter in her hand).

As a friend told me, this isn't the wrong size of underwear. This is people's health! So I suppose my public service announcement today is know what you're supposed to be getting--know the name of your prescription, it's generics, and what it looks like. I seriously have questions about what they are putting in bottles if they can't pull two correct items off the shelf in the 35 minutes I waited.

No comments: