Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Changes!

There's been a lot going on around here!

The girls are in the middle of the big bed switch of '09. In order to get ready for the new arrival, who will be commandeering the crib in the somewhat near future, we thought it prudent to move Gabby to a big girl bed in plenty of time to adjust to that transition before she had other, even bigger, changes coming.

The guest bed, which had been squeezed (and I do mean squeezed) in the nursery, was moved into Kate's room, where she has even more room to spread out, bounce, and not sleep. Here's her room in it's current state. The quilt will be replaced at some time in the not too distant future with a more juvenille pattern, but that must wait for me to get the time and energy to make it!



Then the bed that Kate had been using was taken off it's frame and placed on the floor. It's a beautiful old iron bed. My mom found it rusting outside and sanded it down herself. She used it, it was my first bed, my sister and our exchange student have all used it. Very cool. But it's very tall, not so good for a one year old to climb in and out of. So, anyway, the bed is on the floor. One problem with this--the air vent was covered, so we pushed it out from the wall a tad to open up the vent.





The plan had been to get the room ready and start to transition Gabby on Friday night, so Justin and I could take turns sleeping on Saturday if things went awry. Oops. No one told this to Gabby. Well, actually I did, but she's one and doesn't get it. I had taken all the linens to wash them, so she was a little hesitant, but went to bed fairly easily the past two nights in her crib. Today I made the bed. She wants it now. So tonight will be her first night in the big bed. We'll see if we make it all night or if she gets relegated to the crib at some point before morning!



3 comments:

Just A Chemist said...

... and that didn't work.
We shall keep trying.

Bonnie said...

Cute rooms. How's Kate doing in her new bed? Hopefully Gabby will soon get used to hers. I remember when I first put you in the big bed, I stayed with you until you went to sleep. Then I would quietly get up and leave you.

Kristy said...

Kate's done fine. Gabby wound up back in the crib last night. She cried when I left, but wouldn't close her eyes as long as I was in the room. She's in the bed for nap time today and has stayed so far--we'll see!