Monday, May 7, 2012

As promised...

I ordered How the World Works a couple of weeks ago.  It has been one I've been considering for awhile, but since we're going to be studying geology in the fall, now seemed the very best time.


It might be called a pop-up book (and there are some pretty impressive pop ups), but it is less a pop up book and more a moving book.  There are tabs to pull, wheels to spin, and booklets to flip through.



My favorite page is the one that teaches plate tectonics.  You can see mountains and volcanoes formed and one plate passing over another.  It is a truly great visual.

I would be remiss if I did not note that this book takes evolution as indisputable fact.  The list of possible sources for the beginning of life includes aliens, but not God as a prime mover.

I think it is a very good book, both visually and kinesthetically on the scientific side, for many people the book will require some theological supplementation.  I, personally, try to avoid creation/evolution topics with the age my children are currently, but especially for older children, this might be a good stepping off point for discussing both views and where your family stands.

No comments: