Monday, October 10, 2011

What We've Been Reading

The little people and I have been reading the Little House series. If the shelves are in the same place in the little school library in my elementary school, I could walk you to the shelf where those books sat when I was 8 years old. I devoured them (those and Nancy Drew that year--I know where those were too).

When Kate and I started her writing course for this year, the first copy and narration work came from The Little House in the Big Woods. We were both enjoying the little snippets, so we picked it up at the library. We've also read The Little House on the Prairie and Farmer Boy, which we just finished. Next we'll be on to The Banks of Plum Creek.

I've taken to checking out the book as well as the unabridged audio book. We listen to it as we drive around town and then follow up at home. Since the version we've been getting (narrated by Cherry Jones--she did a great job by the way) has breaks at the end of each chapter, it is easy to find our place in changing between the two.

I love that the girls are really enjoying a story that I remember loving as a girl. These books are rich in history too. They've learned about life before all the conveniences we take for granted, about the government movement of the American tribes, and what life was like for children of that time.

Read any good books lately?

No comments: