Monday, October 24, 2011

Um, Oops

I didn't do my research. I had a set of McGuffey's Eclectic Readers that I inherited from my grandparents. I knew they were commonly used to teach reading in schools across the country for quite some time.

We started with the first lesson in the First Reader last year with Kate's kindergarten. We didn't finish it. Then when we were ready to start this fall, I pulled out the books and it seemed that she had either picked up a lot over the summer or what she had learned last year had finally gelled. We began in the Second Reader. At our current rate, we'll finish it by Christmas. This week I started looking at the rest of the books. As I flipped open the 6th reader, where we would ostensibly be in at 3rd or 4th grade, I found Shakespeare, Byron, and Dickens. I guess these aren't a book per grade!

I suppose we'll be finding some supplemental reading to do in the next few years! On the upside, it looks like she should be able to do some more independent reading in the next little bit. One site I found tried to get graded reading levels for the readers--the reader we are in is listed at the 3rd-4th grade level.

I'm proud of my girl and we'll be off to the library to find some more books for her to read to me!

No comments: