Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Voting

Today, despite the puke fest that has been going on at our house, I went out to do my civic duty fill my responsibility exercise my right to vote.

As I was laying on the couch later I was thinking about why I felt so compelled to do that, even though I had a perfectly reasonable excuse not to go. I think the reason is a jumbled mess many fold.

First, I was given this right, at a great price to many people. No one was currently puking (and no one has since, though I feel really rotten), so how could I let this opportunity pass by because I was too tired?

Next, I was able to give my kids, especially Kate, an important civics lesson. It was important enough to me to take the kids and go vote, even though we hadn't been feeling well.

Then I started thinking about how voting reminded me of prayer. We all can go to God with our requests corporately, but we have the private responsibility for ourselves, as with our individual votes. We are also greatly privileged to have both of these gifts, which we should not take lightly. We need to be in prayer for those who will be sworn in to office soon, and for those who have their ears.

I hope that you have had the opportunity to exercise both of your privileges today. And, if you were behind me in line--the kids didn't touch anything and I washed my hands.

1 comment:

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

good for you for voting, especially when you were sick!