Thursday, December 2, 2010

You Create: Cupcake Hat



It's a homemade Christmas this year. We did buy each of the kids a couple of things, but we're not spending a lot on Christmas. Thankfully the girls each asked for things that I can easily make anyway. I am raiding my scraps of fabric from other projects and using my sewing machine quite a bit.

Kate has been asking for a chef's hat, so this project I pulled off Saturday night. I did buy the fabric for this particular project instead of raiding my stash--I got it on sale and I would guess the total cost was less than $5--I did have hook and loop fasteners, interfacing and thread on hand.


It required 2/3rds of a yard of the fun cupcake fabric, cut into a circle (there was enough to make two in the 44" width, so I did). Then I used 1/3 of a matching fabric to make the bands (cut in half to make two 18 inch wide pieces of fabric).


I measured my kids heads under the premise that I have a friend making hats and I wanted to let her know standard kids head sizes... um yeah. She is making hats at least. I made the bands a few inches longer than their head circumference so I can fold the edges under and add some hook and loop fasteners to adjust the closing. Fold bands the of fabric in half (so they are now 9 1/2 inches wide) and line with interfacing inside the folded fabric.


This iron always makes me smile. I'm sentimental like that. Maybe I'll write about it this week. This iron is special. I hope it lasts me a long, long time.

I ironed the fabric and also folded in the raw edges that will be on the exposed edge (the short ends). Stitch it up and add the fasteners.

Pin the hat to the band, with lots of little folds. Then stitch that all together.



My little models haven't seen it obviously, so you'll have to have to check back after Christmas to see my little bakers in their hats.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

That's cute...I'm sure they'll love them.