Saturday, December 4, 2010

My Iron

I nearly forgot my little promise! So here's the reason why I'm so sentimental over this silly old iron.



My husband and I were married when I was at the ripe old age of twenty. As most couples do, we made a registry and this was one of the items on our list. I received an iron identical to this one at one of my showers. However, when we got back from our honeymoon to Cumberland Falls I opened this one from an old school mate. I was so surprised that he had purchase me a gift, that I had to hang on to that one for some reason, so I returned the first one I received, chuckling to myself that he couldn't read a registry, thus the duplicate.

That was in June. In September, he died. He was in a car accident on his way back to college. When I went to the visitation, on a rather cool evening for September, I spoke to his mom about the iron. It turns out that he had sent her to choose something for me, being a 20 year old man and not knowing what to buy. She laughed as she remembered bringing it home and him looked at the registry and noticing it was a duplicate.

I always think of him and of his mother's laughter when I iron. So much so that when my husband needed to iron on some wood veneer, I made him buy another iron, so I would keep mine safe from the glue that might have ruined it. And truth be told, some day when I replace that old iron, I'm sure that anytime I iron, I'll still remember that fellow.

No comments: