Monday, December 21, 2009

Baking Cookies

Growing up we always made "Christmas Tree cookies." They were just one of those things we always had. They are a lemon crisp recipe, made with a cookie press.

Right after Justin and I got married my mom picked up a cookie press for me, so I could make my own. At the time Justin was working a split 3rd/1st shift as a chemist at a plating factory and I was still in college. Many of my classes were at night because they were being offered as both undergraduate and graduate courses for people seeking a Master's degree in special education. One night I got out of class a little early, so I rushed home to our little apartment and excitedly decided to make my first batch of cookies. As I was pressing out the second cookie sheet full of cookies, my sleeping husband stumbles out of the bedroom and demands to know what on earth I'm doing with a caulking gun at that hour (7:30 PM). We joke about my caulking gun every Christmas.



This year both of the girls were old enough to help me with the baking. It is a little more interesting baking with "help." They really enjoy it though and as they get older they'll gain lots of great memories (I hope) and perhaps some math skills too.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I missed having Kate to help me with my cookies this year! She's a good shaker!!