Thursday, September 24, 2009

Baby Check-Up

The girls and I went to see my midwife again today to check on Baby Ehud*. It seems like we were just there! Those every two week appointments will do that to you.



Ehud is staying on the large side, so she is recommending an ultrasound at 36 weeks (three weeks from today) to check on how big this baby really is--well, an estimate anyway. The ultrasound with Gabby was off by about a pound, if I remember correctly, but it will let us know if we're looking at an eight pound or twelve pound baby. I'm sure I'm not expecting a 19 pounder like that poor woman this week (I haven't even gained 19 lbs!).

We also discussed Swine Flu. She told me the recommendations from the ACOG and CDC, which I had already read. Then she told me that she understood if I was hesitant to be immunized as a pregnant woman, as she would be too. I told her I'd done quite a bit of reading and had noticed that by the time the second dose was administered and considered effective, the baby would already have been born, which she agreed with, so no shots for me. She did recommend using a front carrier in public (Thank you Ann!) to keep people at bay. She said things that she (and I) would typically consider over the top germiphobia were in line for this fall/winter including sanitizing grocery carts and of course hand washing. I told her I'd already pulled by cart cover back out--I use it when the kiddos are small and sometimes still tip over in the cart, but will give it some use this winter. I also purchased a small bottle of hand sanitizer to keep in the van this week.

She's putting a note in my chart to stop checking my blood pressure as soon as I walk in too. I give false high readings when they do it that quickly, but I was back down to a respectable 118/72 after a few minutes.



*Ehud is NOT what we are actually naming our baby--I promise. Justin actually suggested it and I thought it was so funny that I took it as a nickname for this little one, until we find out who he or she really is. We also aren't putting our name choices out there (We FINALLY picked a boy name after 33 weeks!!!) because my mother knows baby's gender and so she would know baby's name before I do!


No comments: