Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Prickly Situation

We’ve been having issues with some of kids in our neighborhood. They have designated our yard as the hang out spot. They stay out until nine or nine-thirty yelling and screaming.

They are destroying our raised flower bed—they like to sit on it because it’s up high and it’s mulched, so they don’t have to sit in the mud, but they’ve started dumping the mulch and kicking the boards out. They even chase each other around with a board they broke free. We have chased them away several times after they have woken Kate up, but there are a lot of them and the idea of calling the police or continually chasing them off aren’t appealing, since they might retaliate-there are twenty or so kids, so not something we want.

I finally decided perhaps if we planted flowers it would be a cue to stay out. It was my mom who suggested rose bushes!



I got the flowers yesterday and Justin planted them. A lot of the kids were watching too. We made sure to leave the curtains open last night, so we could keep an eye on our new “security system.” I’m not sure if it was just a coincidence or not, but all was quiet last night.





3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Your flowers are pretty. I hope your new "security system" works!!

Kristy said...

They are pretty--I'm hoping that they do okay with the shade, but even if they don't I think I'll leave the brambles! They aren't knock out roses--the cheapest of those I could find in town were nearly $20 a piece, so I just got a couple of regular roses. I may need to get some trellis for then next year it the do well, so they don't grow up the tree. The azaleas are supposed to get some shade, so I expect them to do fine. The side that gets almost all day shade doesn't have anything planted yet--I may get a couple of hostas or something for there.

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

great idea - plus they're pretty!