Tuesday, February 15, 2011

When Mom is Sick

I've always stayed fairly healthy. I didn't miss a day of school from fifth grade until I graduated college, save one day after I broke my foot in college. Seriously. I get the normal colds, but nothing that I can't keep going through.

The kiddos had mild colds about two weeks ago. Minor sniffles. Their temperatures reached between 99 and 100 degrees, but the girls didn't slow down at all, and Nate was just slightly slowed, you know to some where near the normal pace of a 15 month old boy, just below turbo speed!

Then I got it. Good stinkin' grief. I was completely knocked out. It was all I could do to make it through our days. I had already planned out our home school week, the folders were ready, so we went ahead, I figured routine was our friend right now. After two nights of barely sleeping, I bought NyQuil. Then I took it...in the afternoon. Wow. I fought all afternoon to stay awake. Usually medicine doesn't effect me too much, but I suppose on top of the lack of sleep it was just too much. By Thursday, I'm starting to feel a bit better, but by mid morning my left eye was stinging. I took out my contact lenses and went about my day. It still burned, and was getting worse. Justin was working late and by the time he got home I was sure something was scratching my eye. He called off classes for the next day, and I went to the doctor because I was sick for the first time in a very long time. Actually, I was taken to the doctor because it felt like the sun was stabbing me in the eye. She told me that I have an eye infection, joy.

I am grateful to be improving slowly, but I have come to the determination that moms need super duper immune systems, kids need to slow down more when they are sick (not be miserable, just want to sit quietly and look at books instead of climb on top of tables while we're all ill), and there really should be substitutes available!

1 comment:

Devon said...

Oh no!!! I'm sorry! Ouch!!

Hope you recover quickly and the kids slow down, at least a little bit!