Thursday, January 13, 2011

You Create: Curtains

(and a lesson in seam ripping)



Do you sew?


If you've ever sewed, I'm going to guess you know precisely what this is.


It's a seam ripper. Oddly enough, it's used to rip out seams--um, yeah.

I have a love hate relationship with my seam ripper. I get it out when ever I start a sewing project, because if I can't find it, I'll definitely need it. I often need it, even if I know where it is.

Sometimes I need it because the thread on my sewing machine works it's way out of one of the hooks, messing up the tension, but more often, it's because I made an error. I measured incorrectly or missed a step in the project.

I've been making some curtains for a friend and I made an error in the sheer for her door. She let me know about my error gracefully and now I have the opportunity to fix it, but first I have to rip up that which was made.

It's not pretty when you rip a seam. The thread falls out in little pieces, there are needle pricks in the fabric, but once you pull all that away, you can turn the seam again, the fabric recovers, and you can have what you intended in the first place.

Isn't that how our life is sometimes? It's not what it should be, so we have to be remade.


Oh, and Miss Ann, the curtains for the windows are made, and I plan be ripping up the seams of the door panel today!

2 comments:

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

I wish you lived close so you could teach me how to use the sewing machine! :)

ann said...

How did you know I'd be reading? Thanks for doing this project for me. You're a great friend.