Thursday, January 27, 2011

Purely Kate or Is It?

We were talking about names and how we shorten them. Our children all have shortened names. My dad goes by a shortened version of his middle name. Just as an aside, as we were talking, I said that Elizabeth could be shortened to Beth. Elizabeth is Kate's middle name. She announced, "I will be called Katie Beth." We laughed, it wasn't mentioned again. At least not for awhile. Later that evening Kate told Justin, "I have a mick [sic] name. My name is, my name is... What is my name?"

We'll ignore it and it will go away right? This is the child who named herself Kate before she was two when we called her Katie. We get ready to go to church on Sunday morning. "What is my name, Mama?"

Not only does the dear girl want to change her name...she doesn't even know her name! I asked if she would be putting that on her school papers and she told me, "I don't know how to spell it, so I'll keep writing my name as Kate, K-a-t-i-e." You know, because she likes to write the 'i', even though she wanted to be Kate.



I often wonder who my children will be as they grow, now I suppose I can add, what will her name be to the list of things to consider about our Katie-Girl.

2 comments:

Devon said...

cute girl!!! I love that she puts the i in anyway!

Jessica @ One Shiny Star said...

Haha, when I was in second grade I informed my Mother that "Jessica" was a boring name and I wanted to be called "Jezzabel"... little did I know I had chosen the name of a biblical harlot. Oops! My Mom said no. :(