Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The story of Gabby (part I)

I suspected I was pregnant and told Justin. He dismissed it out of hand. We’d tried for Kate for years, there was no way it would be that easy. Later that day we got word that Justin’s dearest friend from high school’s mother had passed away after a long battle with cancer.

We packed our things and headed off to Indiana. When we were there, a friend announced her pregnancy and something inside me screamed, “Me too!” A few days later, upon arriving home I took a pregnancy test and it was positive.

Kate and I went shopping for baby socks. I put together a cute little box with the test in the middle and a pair of pink socks on one side and the blue on the other. When Justin came home, I gave him the ‘gift.’

He opened it up and looked inside. “What is it?” he asked looking perplexed.

Getting a little nervous that my cute little plan wasn't going to work, “I asked what does it look like?”

“A pregnancy test?” he questioned.

“Yes!”

He was not quite as excited as I had hoped, but to his defense in the past week we found out that his job (and therefore health insurance) would be ending in mid-summer. We would have to figure something out with a baby on the way. That was certain.

No comments: