Monday, February 24, 2014

Things I've Learned

More than eight years ago I became the Mama to one tiny little person.  In the scheme of things babies two and three came in quick succession.  Now here I am with a brood of four.

There are a few things I've learned along the way that have made manuvering the world a little easier with several tinies.  The first things I've learned is every baby is different, so  as much as Kate needed her alone time as a baby Ellie would prefer never to be put down, so take anything I say with a grain of salt!

Wearing these last two babies when we go out has made life so much easier.  I don't have to carry the 15 lb. baby and the 10 lb. carrier.  I have two free hands to do things like open doors, find my keys, and hold a hand or two.  We do take the infant seat to places like restaurants in hopes that I might be able to let her sit while I eat.  We don't go out to eat often, but I think this has only worked once.

Instead of an absurd tent (nursing cover), I had a friend knit me a shawl.  It has regular function, so it is less out of place, so it doesn't draw attention like a huge black cape.  It isn't as easily kicked off as a receiving blanket, since it is over my shoulders.  It doubles as a blanket when folded over her in her car seat, so we take it every where.  Seriously, why didn't I think of this three babies ago?

Some babies need schedules.  Or I used to.  Or both.  When Kate was a baby, I knew I had 11 weeks to get her on a schedule before I went back to work.  I feed her every three hours, and set her feedings for her new wake-up time, to coincide with my lunch break, and the end of my work day.  This is the child I taught to read a clock when she was two because she always wanted to know when things were happening.

Ellie has no real schedule.  She eats when she's hungry.  She naps at some point each day.  She goes to sleep at some point in the evening.  I'd like a slightly more consistent evening schedule, but I'm glad she's flexible.  We have different schedules on different days because of activities in which the older girls are involved.  She rolls with it as well as I could ask.  I don't know if these girls are so different in their need for schedules because of me or their innate personalities.

I have also learned that I am horrible at sleep training.  I did finally move Ellie out of our room.  Thankfully she's been good at, since I can't stand to let them cry.  She generally gets up once a night now instead of the many times we had been doing before we moved her.  Someday she'll sleep through the night, but hopefully she'll do it one night without my pushing it.  You know, because I stink at it.

I have yet to figure out what to do when Mama's sick though.  So if you figure that one out, can you pass it on?

No comments: