Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Words Aptly Spoken

Okay, call me a dork. I was looking at home school books and I happened across Words Aptly Spoken. The book is being revised and updated, so the old text was on sale for $5. I ordered. Not for my kiddos--way above their heads at this point--but because I wanted to read it. It has political documents, speeches, even poetry that is foundational to our country. I remember looking my parents' World Almanac to read the constitution and the Declaration of Independence. This has all of that and quite a bit more.

Then I got it. Okay, my oldest is in kindergarten, so here's where I get dorky. I can not wait to teach high school government! I don't think this book (based on my first look through) is worth quite a full credit in government (though others may disagree), but it is wonderful. It has two sets of questions for each reading, and it could easily be expanded into more in depth research projects for some of the topics (like the use of Locke and Rutherford in the writing of the D of I) to get that full credit. It is primarily a work of foundational documents, though there are some slightly more modern pieces (like Brown vs. Board of Ed.), so I'll likely add a little more on global government and modern government.

No comments: