Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Because I Couldn't Make This Up...

So, last week I got the new script (it was another antibiotic, by the way). It was not nice stuff. Made my eye itch and burn, made my hatred of sunlight grow to near vampire proportions, and made my pink eye turn bright red and swollen. So I called an ophthalmologist's office, in hopes he will tell me to stop taking the evil fire drops.

I show up Friday afternoon. No, actually I'm dropped off on Friday afternoon, because I can't be in the sun, remember? Justin drives the kids to a nearby park while I see this doctor. He looks in my eye and sketches on a paper for a bit silently. Then he tells me that he thinks I have an amoeba infection. That sounds so much worse than a bacteria or virus, doesn't it? He won't treat it, but tells me that he's referring me to another doctor for Monday and that he expects that I'll have to have a biopsy of my eye--um, ouch.

I spent the entire weekend trying not to worry about the pain I was expecting and what it might mean as far as taking care of the munchkins, oh and that I'd be ruining Justin's spring break. And trying not to play on Dr. Google. I wanted information badly, but what little I could read through my fingers (it was too bad to look at directly), just scared me too much to finish any of the articles.

Monday I saw a new ophthalmologist. He did run quite a few tests. He assured me that they don't do biopsies anymore, they use a special microscope now which is less barbaric (his words). That scan was inconclusive, but based on the fact that we have city water, I've not swam in any rivers, and I've not worked in brush he thinks an amoeba is unlikely--whew, because the treatment sounded rough. He took four swabbings to plate out and two scrapings. This didn't hurt at the time, thanks to lovely numbing drops, but in the evening I could tell I had little scratches on my eye. Thankfully they were better in the morning.

His preliminary assessment was that I had a bacterial infection that was healing, which was what the other doctor saw, but that the drops caused a reaction that caused the mess that was my eye.

Stay tuned for more on this ridiculously long eye saga, 'cause I go back tomorrow and I'm hoping for a, "You're going to be fine now run along home," kind of report.

Oh and FYI--something I never, ever knew...you aren't supposed to shower with contact lenses in. That's my PSA for the day? month? year?

No comments: