Monday, August 27, 2018

Oven Disaster

So, there was a day this summer that I preheated the oven.  When I opened the oven door to pop the food in, however, there was a white light coming from the element in the bottom of the oven.  I've never see that before, and I don't quite think that an arc welder belongs in my oven.

I closed the door and turned off the oven.  When I checked, the burning had not stop.  I called for the kids to get their shoes, grab Katie's phone, and head for our 'in case of fire' meeting spot.  Thankfully, for some reason, Justin was home early that evening and thought to pull the oven out, as I was going for the fire extinguisher.  He unplugged it, and when we looked again, the fire was out.  Whew!

We debated for a few hours whether to replace the element or the range.  It was a bit of a toss up, not being certain that there was not a problem further back, but I read quite a few stories from people who had the same problem, and it seemed that just replacing the element fixed all of their problems, so it took a few days, but we got our new part and Justin put it in easily.



Kristy

1 comment:

Just A Chemist said...

"Easily" in that I know how to remove the back of an oven and feel around for wiring hidden in the insulation. Would have been much nicer if either the factor or the former workmen that put the last element in had left about 2 inches more wire back there...