Thursday, September 19, 2013

Board Books

I love books.  When I was a child I loved Scholastic book orders, book fairs, book stores, and the library.  When I got to college, I got the opportunity to study children's literature there too.  I don't have nearly as much time to devote to reading (for myself) as I once did, but now I get to share great books with the littles (and not so littles--as Kate will be eight (!) in a week).  We've read some great classics in the past couple of years, but now we get to pull out some of those fun board books again.

Here are a few of my favorites:

Guess How Much I Love You is a sweet little book in which the parent always loves the child more.  It is the first book I remember Justin reading to the kids--

he also read Kate a lot of chemistry journal articles as a baby, but this is a little sweeter.  He'd lay on his back next to her in the floor and hold the book above them to read it.

Horns to Toes and in Between is a fun book.  It teaches body parts, I suppose, but it is so funny that you wouldn't know it.  And, unless your a monster, I guess most of us don't really have the tails that are described in the book either.  The children love that there are instructions to tickle them in the book.  Sandra Boynton is a favorite author here.

Moo, Baa, La La La! is another Boynton book.  It is full of animal sounds and more silliness.

Prayer for a Child is my absolute favorite.  I believe that it was in the church nursery when I was little because it seemed vaguely familiar to me when I read it when I was in college, as part of one of those literature classes.  It is simple and sweet and has the most darling illustrations.  We read it to

Kate every night for about a year.

1 comment:

Jo-Anne said...

I am so with you on this. I love all things books and my mama heart near explodes with how much the kiddos love reading too. Some of our favorite board books were/are those by Karen Katz. She does a whole bunch. Mommy Hugs and Daddy Hugs were/are definitely 2 that got/get the most use. Scholastic Book orders used to be one of my favorite things ever. My family didn't have a lot of money while I was growing up, but I always got to choose a book from the book order and in fact, Izzy's very first book order arrived yesterday! So fun.