Monday, May 16, 2011

Step 533

Well, I feel like I've been on a roller coaster this week.

First, we heard back to go sign the papers on Monday for the addendum for the seller. That meant things were going smoothly after not knowing what would happen after the offer expired on Friday evening. [Up, Up we go.]

Then, we were awakened at 2 AM by some arguing teenagers Tuesday morning. That has nothing to do with the house, but it had me awake and so I started rehashing the contracts in my mind. It suddenly hit me, they requested closing within 21 days. Then it occurred to me that months aren’t set up in nice neat 4 week sets, meaning we would be closing in May, meaning we would have to pay mortgage and lease both in July. :P [Down a bit of a hill.]

Tuesday I find out that I must call their lender, as they required we get approved by their person too. That guy tried to get us to pick his bank over ours. I spent the day talking to him and our bank (who agreed to match the other bank’s rate plus offer us a percentage point off the first year for free). The banker said there was no way to close in 21 days, whew. So into June we go, and we aren’t in breach of contract, since all is dependent on financing. They could drop the deal, but without another offer that is silly. [I hate the mess and being in the middle, so it was up and down in all that. But I was very glad I was able to negotiate a great rate with our bank.]

Wednesday I get an email from our real estate agent that if we can’t get a guarantee from our bank to close by the 3rd of June that they are backing out, and oh yeah, their bank can do that. Things also slowed because I refuse to authorize the appraisal. “Why?” you ask. See, it is because they hadn’t signed a contract. And I told him I was concerned that they will appraise it with the messed up roof, which will require a second appraisal. They have required we use their title company already. They have just been difficult all the way around. We finally told the real estate agent we were ready to walk away. [Down, down, down.]

In the middle of all of that, I spent the day putting together all the information the bank needs to show that we qualify for the loan officially—financials and all.

Thursday I get another email from our real estate agent. After taking our stand, they had submitted the signed contracts and asked that I meet the roofer to pick out the roof color. I took the munchkins over to meet the roofer. While we waited,


I took a picture of them on the front porch (someone wanted to explore more than have his picture taken),


and I let them play in the backyard...their new backyard. That was fun, but I did learn how hard it is to keep track of all three of them without a fence! We also got the papers to sign to set up the loan with our bank, so when Justin made it home from work after nine o'clock, and we signed, and signed, and signed some more. [What a great relief, and up again!]

Friday was a more quiet day on the house front, I only had to drop off the signed papers at the bank, but Saturday we got to get back by to measure windows so I can have curtains to put up when we get there. My parents and sister were able to see the place too. And of course the munchkins got to wander through their new home, with the real estate agent's daughter to boot, so they had a blast. I forgot to take any pictures though. :P


1 comment:

Jo-Anne said...

Oh my gosh. You had me going "oh no", "hooray", with a sigh of relief at the end. That really was a rollercoaster week! So glad it's working out in the end though. Soooo exciting. You're almost there! =)