Friday, January 14, 2011

100th Day

We've passed the halfway point of our first year on this adventure of home schooling! It's hard to believe in some ways and in others it seems like we've been doing this forever. As we reach this point, I'm looking back on what we've accomplished and ahead to what we hope to do next year, and how to prepare for it!

Kate is a bright kiddo, so really in that respect I got a real head start. But then, of course, she's a stubborn kiddo too, so I've had some trials with that hard little head of hers. Perhaps that's the greatest thing that has come of this whole adventure. We have made our way through some tough little patches and she has learned that she can do it and I learned that I can teach her.

From time to time, when Kate complains that she can't learn, I'll pull out the McGuffey Reader that we started with that very first day and flip to the first lesson. Now it is so simple to read those four words. Those four words that took so much hard work on that first day. It's a nice little reminder of what we have done so far this year--and we're just over halfway there!

I'm working on choosing the last bits of our curriculum for next year, so that if there are any foundational things we need to have for the coming year we'll be prepared. In doing that, I pulled out a pretest for one of the first grade math texts I am considering and she was able to pass the pretest last week. I was proud of her for that too. She started with very little math skills and she is quickly becoming capable in that too. By the fall, I think she should be able to start just about any first grade math program I choose.

Congrats Miss Kate on reaching the 100th day of school!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

I am so glad that it's going well for both you and Kate. I'm sure it's a challenge some days especially with having the two younger ones too. I know she's getting the best possible education with you as her teacher.