Friday, September 3, 2010

You Create: Culture Chart



I've been very busy working on a project for our school this week. I made a pictorial chart for Kate to fill in about our studies of different countries.




Down the side I made a place to represent each of the six countries we'll be studying.


Then along the top, I put a picture to represent our questions, such as, "What is the weather like?" and "What do people do for fun?"

Kate has some rudimentary writing skills, but writes too large for small spaces, plus pictures are more fun (and easy to 'read' even for a beginning reader)! We're working on her cutting skills, but she's not quite there yet. Hopefully in the next few months she'll get to cut out any pictures we use for charts.

Earlier in the week, we sat down with our list of questions and our library books and answered them in written form.


I also made pictures (from clipart) to represent the answers for each of the countries. I can only keep our library books for two weeks, so I made graphics for Italy and Israel to print out (since I have those books and know how they answered the questions). She had two choices for each of the questions today as she fills in the chart.


She had fun with the glue stick, as she placed each of the answers in the appropriate block, she even remembered several of the answers without looking at our sheet.


When it's complete, in October, we'll be able to see all of the countries we're looking at all together and see how they are the same and different.

4 comments:

Prudy said...

Great fun and learning. Doing it should help her remember more easily toon.

ann said...

This is really cool. Keep up the good work, everyone!

Anonymous said...

very cool! that sure makes learning a lot more fun and memorable than just reading it!

Gitz 'n Jo said...

Ok, seriously. I feel like I need to go back to school and learn from you. Because this sounds like A LOT more fun!!!

So creative. She'll thank you for that someday.