Sunday, September 26, 2010

Birthday Party



Yesterday we had Kate's birthday party. She asked for two things in specific--a pinata and a castle cake. The pinata she wanted was $20. I really didn't want to spend that much money on something she was just going to break. So instead we made our own out of paper mache. I really wish there had been more time to decorate it, but we were working around Nate's naps and there were days that I planned to work on it that he just didn't cooperate, so it isn't the pretty little thing I had envisioned. That said, she loved it. She even specifically thanked me for making it with her in the middle of the hub-bub of yesterday.


I bought some candy to put in it, and Friday as we were doing some prep work for her party I warned her that I didn't plan to put the entire bag of candy in the pinata. She looked at me with great seriousness and asked, "Can we have three pieces?" She may never know that I had intended to put in about a third of the bag, but she was greatly pleased that I was willing to agree to her 'greedy' demand.


I asked what she wanted for lunch and she asked for sanwhiches and a veggie tray.


We were grateful that we had family here with us to celebrate her day too. My parents and sister were able to make it down to have lunch with her and watch her open presents. The three kids got a swing set from my parents!


Kate received a book from us, but her big gift was to be getting her ears pierced. We asked her over and over if she was sure and every time she nodded confidently. She could tell you how she would have to care for them and that it would hurt when they put them in. She decided against it at the last minute, after the girl already had the earrings out of the sealed package, so we had to buy them anyway. I suppose this will be the first of many lessons in getting what you ask for. I thought she would be more disappointed than she was. She hasn't asked about getting it done since, which is a good thing because I'm not up for taking her back for a very long time!

Tonight she was again demanding--she wants chicken noodle soup, so I put a pot on to boil after church this afternoon.

2 comments:

Kristyn said...

I LOVE that cake! Did you make it yourself???

Kristy said...

I did make the cake. It takes some time and some decorating skills, but it's not quite as hard as it looks because I used a kit for the turrets and such (http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=2AAE04F0-423B-522D-FD9974A4926ACCA3). I'll be posting more about it on Thursday.