Thursday, March 31, 2011

What's to Eat?

I've always tried to be sure that my kids like healthy foods. When I read that one year olds generally favor french fries over any vegetable, I banned french fries during that first year. My kids get steamed veggies at lunch nearly every day. They have fruit and crackers at snack times. Dessert isn't offered daily. We don't keep juice in the house (though they can have it if we are out and it is offered), and they aren't allowed Coke/soda/pop until they are five.

Don't get me wrong, my kids like Mickey D's as much as the next kid and we do have cookies and such from time to time, but they have been pretty good eaters over all. They don't always have to clean their plates, but they do have to try all the foods. And Kate, especially, is learning where there are carbohydrates in food, as we figure insulin doses for Justin, and learning that we need some of this and a little of that, but most of all a good balance in our foods. I'm not sure if the way we have offered food has set the stage for their eating, but I figure it sure didn't hurt.

When Kate turned five, we let her have Sprite, and she hated it. She also despised Pepsi--asked us to pour it out and get her water. Last week I served Chef Boyardee. I'd never purchased it before, and actually got it accidentally--it was sitting on the edge of the conveyor belt at the grocery and must have gotten put with my items. The girls were so excited to eat this canned goody, but once they tasted it, they decided it wasn't any good (Nate gobbled it up). I was shocked that they didn't like it. Today I served steamed peas, hummus on whole wheat pita bread, cheese chunks and milk and Kate exclaimed, "This is the best lunch I've ever tasted, ever!!" Gabby, who had originally looked at it with disgust, asked if we could have it again, and Nate ate all of his too.

May they always love to eat the good stuff!

No comments: