Wednesday, March 2, 2011

What is In a Name?

I went to Bible Study at church on Sunday and was chatting with one of the gals before we started. She asked me if Katie Beth was mine. It took me off guard. I know that Kate has been telling everyone there that her name is Katie Beth, but she still hasn't quite converted me.

There is just the part of me that has 'Kate' in my automatic cue, of course. I still call a fellow I went to school with Timmy because he has always been Timmy, though I got his answering machine a few years ago and he's changed on over to Tim. I can't blame him, he grew up, moved away, became an attorney, but even if I don't say it out loud he'll always me Timmy in my head.

As I thought about it more, I think I also have trouble with this name change because, when she changed her name from Katie to Kate, it seemed so fitting. When I think of Kate, I think of a strong willed, confident person. Katie Beth seems more dainty and passive to me for some reason.

So here in lies the question...will she change her name again, about the time I finally change me default to Katie Beth, or will she redefine the name for me.

At least she doesn't want me to call her Ariel...that would be the three year old.

No comments: