Thursday, July 22, 2010

Slowing Down

I'm at that point in the move where the crazy busy-ness is starting to slow down a bit. I've got all but the last few boxes unpacked. I've change my address with nearly everyone who needs it. I've gotten my new driver's license. I've taken my van for emissions testing and registered it. I've done everything I can to get Kate ready for school until the office re-opens and I can register her.

So here we sit in a new town, knowing little more than how to find our way to the local Wal-Mart, with little to do and even fewer people to do it with. At the moment it seems ironic to have moved to be closer to people (namely family) and now have no support for the little every day things. I'm very grateful to be close to them if something big happens and we need help and to visit more frequently, but to just sit down and have a cup of coffee or an impromptu dinner, I'm on my own. Add to that the impending school year with a huge change in commute--two miles versus what could be 45 minutes of interstate driving for Justin and late labs, I'm not the most eager for that to begin.

I'm very much looking forward to making friends. When we made our first move, for Justin to go to grad school, I met people at work. Since then, I've always joined a MOPS group, here though, there aren't any close by. We're really counting on finding a good church. Last week's attempt wasn't what we'd hoped, so perhaps we'll find something this week. Wish me luck in not staying lonely too long!


2 comments:

Jo-Anne said...

I know right where you're coming from. I moved to a small town (well a little ways outside) and not much for me or my daughter is near-by so friends are a little harder to come by. Hang in there though. Good luck in your new adventures.

ann said...

Oh, Kristy! We miss you guys.