Friday, July 30, 2010

Big House

As I was driving the other day, the song "Big House" came on the radio. Kate started singing at the top of her lungs. I love that she loves it. It was a popular song back when I was in high school. Anytime I hear it I think of a trip my youth group took to Camp Kavanaugh. We stayed in the McCoy House. The song really fit that house. It was a huge old house that we shared for the weekend, sleeping in bunk rooms, having to sign up for shower times, and truly enjoying one another.

I had a lot of fun growing up with that group of kids. Many of us had been together since we were little children in Sunday School. I hope our kids are blessed with those relationships and that foundation as they grow.


This is a picture of many of us who were there that weekend, though this was at Lake Junaluska during the week of the 4th of July in 1996.

It was pretty rainy that weekend, so we spent much of our time inside playing Spoons and talking when we weren't in our group. I don't remember much about our discussions, but I remember the friendship we shared and that song blaring on the radio and it being sung as we ran up and down the stairs. Got to love a little Audio Adrenaline!

2 comments:

ann said...

I also have youth group memories of that song.

reane said...

I have wonderful memories of going to church camp when I was young. My first year was the summer before I entered fourth grade and I went every summer after that until the summer after I graduated. Some of my best friends and child hood memories were formed there. I too hope my children are afforded that opportunity.