Monday, August 23, 2010

Overwhelmed

I've been looking online for homeschool resources. It is truly overwhelming. I've been asking other people for their insight into materials, reading online reviews, and flipping through the preview pages on Amazon. And this is just for the books, not to mention whether to join a home schooling group!

I am so glad I decided to not buy a whole curriculum set for kindergarten. We're doing fine for now with a few odds and ends. Like, I picked up some handwriting practice sheets the other day. I made my own number line and I'm spending a good bit of time creating worksheets of our own to be sure, but I can tailor it to target her weaknesses. She needs more practice on patterns that have 2 of one shape followed by one of another, no problem. My marker and I can make her another one every day for the next week. She has trouble with the number five. Well, look at that, her practice sheet has four different ways to add to the number five so she has to keep practicing it. Our library card is getting a definite workout already. We checked out over a dozen books from the library this past week. I'm sure we'll do that again (and again).

Don't get me wrong, I fully intend to get more curriculum for the future...it would be prohibitive to do this in all subjects for three children, but to get an idea of where she is and what I think she needs, I'm glad for it. Plus it buys me time to procrastinate weigh my options before I have to make a decision about all the many choices in texts, workbooks, manipulatives, and more.

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Your kids are so lucky to have you for their mom because you always want to do what is best for them, no matter how much work it ends up being for you.

Tabitha (From Single to Married) said...

oops - I just answered the question that I asked in a previous comment. I think it's great that you're teaching them at home! We have a while to decide, but we're looking at doing that too!