Friday, September 11, 2009

In Remembrance

This day eight years ago is so vivid in my memory. It was my very first year teaching. I had no idea what was going on when someone came in and said to turn on the TV, just in time to see the second plane hit the towers. My students were special education students, one of whom was deaf. Our interpreter had just left, so I remember signing the sign for plane crashing and then building over and over again for her.

My students kept asking the question we were all asking too, "Why?"

I was proud of how our country united after that...that unity seems so distant now.

In memory of those who perished, just trying to earn a living and those who ran into burning buildings to try to save others, and also to those who died retaking their plane and protect the people who would have been involved there. And in honor of those who have served our country since, especially my cousin Andrew, Evan (whose mother was with me in that classroom that day), and my friend (from grade school through high school) who is currently deployed to the middle east, Derrick. Thank you!

No comments: